cis people aren’t allowed to edit my papers anymore
"WHAAATT? I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY WORK??? IN MY OWN PAPER??? WHAT THE FUUUCK??"
It’s not my job to educate you, teacher.
I’m betting one hundred bucks that this is a comment about a really badly written essay and not someone being actively transphobic.
well, you’re about to owe me one hundred bucks.
- this is not the first time i mentioned privilege in the paper. or cisgender. this paper was written on my personal experiences with being trans, and the difficulties i’ve faced because of it, and the difficulties that cisgender people with otherwise comparable lives have not faced.
- the terms privilege and cisgender had both been thoroughly elaborated on in this paper.
- this paper was written for a women’s studies class, on gender analysis, in which both privilege and cisgender privilege in particular had been explained, elaborated upon, and discussed by the professor.
- the comment was not by the professor, it was by a cis classmate during a peer review.
- the words cisgender and privilege are both in scare quotes (in case you can’t google that or don’t know what it means or want to deny their existence, scare quotes is when you put a word or phrase in quotation marks to make it seem less real — the textual version of sarcastically making air quotes with your fingers)
- another edit, by the same editor, involved asking me what my birth name was. i’m sure you don’t need to be told that that’s transphobic.
- i spoke to the professor about this edit, and he agreed with me that the comment (and the way it was phrased) was out of line. in fact, he thought it was so out of line that he led a workshop for the class on how not to be disrespectful assholes to trans people (say, by asking for their birth name, or telling them they’re wrong or oversensitive about transphobia).
- i got a 99% on the essay — WITHOUT changing anything the edit asked for.
- the professor liked my essay so much that he asked to keep it as an EXAMPLE for future classes
bonus: if your reaction to seeing gross transphobic things is “well it’s probably the trans person’s fault”, then you’re gross and transphobic and i hope you don’t know any trans people IRL for their sake
i wonder how people describe me when they’re talking about me to someone who’s never met me
"Please Doctor, it’s the only medicine we’ve got.”
OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS BALTO.. 978 OTHER PEOPLE HAVE REBLOGGED THIS THAT MEANS THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THIS FUCKING MOVIE. EVERYTIME I ASK PEOPLE IF THEY REMEMBER IT THEY THINK I’M TALKING ABOUT BOLT AND IT KILLS ME INSIDE
i have hope
"The body shuts down when it has too much to bear; goes its own way quietly inside, waiting for a better time, leaving you numb and half alive."
Jeanette Winterson, The Passion (via letteratura-litterature)
Звёзды Большого театра Андрей Меркурьев, Денис Медведев, Чинара Ализаде, Карим Абдуллин и Ольга Марченкова приняли участие в рекламной фотосессии итальянского бренда Peuterey.
Фотограф Данил Головкин.
ya I stopped breathing
In the post-World War II era, the Klan experienced a huge resurgence. Its membership was skyrocketing, and its political influence was increasing, so Kennedy went undercover to infiltrate the group. By regularly attending meetings, he became privy to the organization’s secrets. But when he took the information to local authorities, they had little interest in using it. The Klan had become so powerful and intimidating that police were hesitant to build a case against them.
Struggling to make use of his findings, Kennedy approached the writers of the Superman radio serial. It was perfect timing. With the war over and the Nazis no longer a threat, the producers were looking for a new villain for Superman to fight. The KKK was a great fit for the role.
In a 16-episode series titled “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” the writers pitted the Man of Steel against the men in white hoods. As the storyline progressed, the shows exposed many of the KKK’s most guarded secrets. By revealing everything from code words to rituals, the program completely stripped the Klan of its mystique. Within two weeks of the broadcast, KKK recruitment was down to zero. And by 1948, people were showing up to Klan rallies just to mock them."
I ain’t the world’s best writer nor the world’s best speller
But when I believe in something I’m the loudest yeller
“Stetson Kennedy,” Woody Guthrie
If Woody Guthrie wrote a song about your merits, you freaking HAD them.
Stetson Kennedy: American Badass.
apparently e.l. james called former child star mara wilson (matilda) a “sad f**k” for critiquing the 50shades books a while ago and now there’s a feud. i love it.
I have a love for her that runs deep.
YES BITCH YES BITCH YESSSSS BITCH
no but the best part is how he got the name:
his name was originally “potatoes,” and his owner, willoughby bertie, told the stable lad who helped him to write the horse’s name on a feed bin. the boy misheard it as, literally “pot-eight-o’s” and wrote it with 8 o’s. bertie found it so funny that he kept that as the horses name.
This is the most beautiful horse-related story I’ve ever heard.